What is the Gigabit Voucher scheme?
The DCMS (Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport) voucher scheme aims to accelerate the roll-out of Gigabit-capable services to business customers by making the switch to full-fibre more affordable for SMEs.
The vouchers can be used to fund new connections that are ‘gigabit-capable’ and deliver a minimum of 100Mbps from day one. The scheme is running until 31 March 2019 or until the funding is consumed, with vouchers up to £3000 to cover the cost of installation.
The scheme is being rolled out in stages which the Government is referring to as ‘Waves’.
• ‘Wave 1’ is in place now. This means vouchers are available in a handful of regions across the UK. These are Aberdeen, Bradford, Bristol, Huddersfield and Leeds.
• ‘Wave 2’ this is when the vouchers will be available across all regions nationwide. We expect the Government to roll the scheme out nationwide early in 2018 and will keep you updated as we know more.
To be eligible, end customers/connectivity users, must:
- Employ no more than 249 people
- Have an annual turnover below £50m and/or balance sheet below £43m
- Not be a subsidiary and/or under the control of a larger SME entity